Mitchell Wolden, PhD, DPT
Associate Director of the PhD in Clinical Research and Dissertation Coordinator
PhD in Education, North Dakota State University
Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of North Dakota
Bachelor of Science, University of North Dakota
Dr. Mitch Wolden is a Professor in the Physical Therapy Program at the University of Jamestown in Fargo, ND; with honorary appointments at The Clinical Research Institute [Sydney, Australia] and the School of Science and Technology at the University of New England [Armidale, Australia]. He earned his PhD in Education with an emphasis in Institutional Analysis (2018) from North Dakota State University, and his DPT degree from the University of North Dakota (2009).
Dr. Wolden has a history of peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations that relate to physical therapy education and practice. In ongoing health collaborations, Dr. Wolden seeks to advance physical therapy clinical and educational engagement with students and patients.
Currently, Dr. Wolden teaches Clinical Reasoning and Musculoskeletal content in the University of Jamestown Physical Therapy Program. Dr. Wolden is certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialty in Orthopedics as well as the Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy. He is committed to advancing professional physical therapy knowledge and the development and implementation of evidence-based practices, and is actively involved in professional advancement, including serving in national, state, and local organizations.
Peer Reviewed Publication
- Karlik S. Wolden M. Women’s collegiate soccer coaching in the United States: exploring barriers and challenges. Soccer & Society. 2022; 1-13. DOI: 10.1080/14660970.2022.2069099.
- Wolden M. Anderson B. Student self-efficacy in pediatrics: evaluation and modification of the Pediatric Communication and Handling Self-Efficacy Scale. Pediatric Physical Therapy. 2022; 34(3): 382-389. DOI: 10.1097/PEP.0000000000000919.
- Schanandore J. Wolden M. Smart NA. The accuracy and reliability of the Suchey-Brooks pubic symphysis age estimation method: systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 2022; 67: 56-67. DOI: 10.1111/1556-4029.14911.
- Wood GN. Taylor E. Ng V. Murrell A. Patil A. van der Touw T. Sigal R. Wolden M. Smart NA. The effect size of aerobic exercise training on blood lipids in sedentary adults with Metabolic Syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. British Journal of Sport and Medicine. 2021; (online ahead of print) DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2021-104667.
- Wood GN. Taylor E. Ng V. Murrell A. Patil A. van der Touw T. Wolden M. Smart NA. Determining the effect size of aerobic exercise training on the standard lipid profile of adults diagnosed with, and free of, Metabolic Syndrome: A protocol for two systematic reviews with univariate meta-analyses and meta-regression of randomised controlled trials. Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology. 2021; 10(2): 42-50. DOI: 10.31189/2165-6193-10.2.42.
- Wolden M. Drevyn E. Flom-Meland C. Gusman LM. Evaluation and modification of the physical therapist clinical performance instrument. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2021; 35(2): 85-94. DOI: 10.1097/JTE.0000000000000180.
- Wolden M. Gusman LM. Drevyn E. Flom-Meland C. Does the length of student physical therapists clinical educational experiences matter? Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2021; 35(2): 113-120. DOI: 10.1097/JTE.0000000000000175.
- Ajuogu PK. Al-Aqbi MA. Hart RA. Wolden M. Smart NA. McFarlane JR. The effect of dietary protein intake factors associated with male infertility – a systematic review and meta-analysis of animal clinical trials in rats. Nutrition and Health. 2020; 1-12. DOI: 10.1177/0260106019900731.
- Ajuogu PK. Wolden M. McFarlane JR. Hart RA. Carlson DJ. Van der Touw T. Smart NA. Effect of low and high protein maternal diets during gestation on reproductive out-comes in the rat: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Animal Science. 2020; 98(1): DOI: 10.1093/jas/skz380.
- Wolden M. Hill B. Voorhees S. Predicting success on the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE): systematic review and meta-analysis. Physical Therapy. 2020; 100(1): 73-89. DOI: 10.1093/ptj/pzz145.
- Wolden M. Anderson B. Enhancing pediatric education for physical therapy students: through the development of community partnerships to facilitate experiential learning: a case report. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2019; 33(3): 236-242. DOI: 10.1097/JTE.0000000000000096.
- Wolden M. Hil, B. Farquhar-Voorhees S. Meta-Analysis in Physical Therapy Education Research: Using the Pearson’s Product-Moment Correlation Coefficient as a Measure of Effect Size. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2019; 33(1): 78-84. DOI: 10.1097/JTE.0000000000000075.
- Wolden M. Anderson A. Ray C. Changes in Perceived Self-Efficacy of Physical Therapy Students Following a Pediatric Experiential Learning Opportunity. Pediatric Physical Therapy. 2019; 31(1): 115-120. DOI: 10.1097/PEP.0000000000000550.
Honors & Awards
Stanford Award 2022 for “Does the Length of Student Physical Therapists’ Clinical Educational Experiences Matter?”
American Physical Therapy Association Academy of Education in recognition of the manuscript containing the most influential educational ideas published in the Journal of Physical Therapy Education for 2021.
Outstanding Research Abstract Award 2022
Reliability and Validity of the Pediatric Communication and Handling Self-Efficacy Scale. APTA Pediatrics Section. 2022. Combined Sections Meeting. San Antonio, TX.
- Podcast interview on Wolden and Anderson “Student self-efficacy in pediatrics: evaluation and modification of the Pediatric Communication and Handling Self-Efficacy Scale.” Pediatric Physical Therapy. 2022; 34(3). https://journals.lww.com/pedpt/Pages/podcastepisodes.aspx?podcastid=1.
- Wolden et al “Does the length of student physical therapists clinical educational experiences matter?” Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2021. Featured article with video synopsis. https://twitter.com/JOPTEjournal/status/1399742775877324801?s=20.
- Podcast interview with Dr. Alan Jette on Wolden et al “Predicting success on the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE): systematic review and meta-analysis.” Physical Therapy, March 26, 2020. https://academic.oup.com/ptj/pages/ptj-podcast-2020#e2afbb3b09e6ef8d2420.