Learn about all of the services The Writing Center provides, as well as how to make an appointment.
Empowering you to become a better writer.
Strong writing skills are essential to every career. They also make college, both at the graduate and undergraduate level, a lot easier. That’s where The Writing Center—a free resource for all members of the UJ community—comes in.
We work with any writer, from any discipline, on any type of writing. We also help at all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming to editing. Make an appointment to start improving your writing skills.
About the Writing Center
Our aim is to empower better writers, create confidence, critical thinking, realistic goals, and an appreciation for the writing process.
In our Center, writers will learn how to effectively communicate through their own writing—sharing their thoughts with a wider audience. This method instills intrinsic motivation in our clients, helping them to think about writing beyond grades and motivating them to see writing as a practical tool in their everyday lives.
What an appointment looks like.
After you make an appointment, tutoring sessions are adapted to, and driven by, each writer. We encourage you to lead the appointment with your unique goals, needs, and priorities in mind.
In our conferences, we offer constructive feedback by:
- Identifying writers’ strengths as well as areas for improvement to help them build on their existing skills.
- Modeling revisions strategies that writers can use during their own revising process.
- Encouraging reflection on writers’ goals, processes, and revisions.
We recognize that everyone struggles with writing sometimes, including our team at The Writing Center. That’s why we are committed to:
- Asking questions and actively listening to what writers say and need during appointments.
- Creating a comforting, open, and honest environment that allows for conversation.
- Providing a space where writers can feel frustrated, lost, or confused without fear of judgment.
- Being vulnerable about our own writing process to encourage vulnerability and openness in our clients.
Make an appointment.
Before you stop in, be sure to make an appointment. The Writing Center, located in the Student Success Center in Raugust Library, is open for both face-to-face and online appointments during the following hours:
|Mondays||9:00 AM – 6:00 PM|
|Tuesdays/Thursdays||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM|
|Wednesdays/Fridays||9:00 AM – 4:00 PM|
If you have technological problems that prevent you from using the online module, please email The Writing Center Director Dr. Danielle Clapham, and we will try to make other arrangements for your consultations.
We are happy to work with UJ faculty on writing-related course goals and instruction. We can help develop digital or in-person classroom outreaches and/or meet with faculty members about how The Writing Center can best meet their students’ needs.
If you would like to discuss how we can help with your class or if you have questions about our current and future services, please email The Writing Center Director Dr. Danielle Clapham.